Prevent Bearing Failure in Liquid Ring Vacuum Pumps and Compressors
Did you know most bearing failures are not caused by manufacturer’s defect? From not enough grease to too much grease, or improper repairs by an unauthorized shop – our service technicians have seen it all.
Regardless of the cause, bearing failure puts your operation at risk for unscheduled downtime and repairs.
Bearing failure can be prevented with proper maintenance and monitoring. Included below are some of the most common causes and solutions for preventing bearing failure in your liquid ring pump or compressor.
Cause of Failure: Lubrication
- Incorrect seal liquid rates conditions
- Incorrect grease
- Excess grease
- Insufficient grease
- Contamination of grease
- Mixing grease types
- Use only the grease recommended by Nash for your specific model and operating conditions.
- Monitor packing leakage.
- Do not over-grease bearings
- Check grease every 6 months, refill as needed.
- DO NOT MIX GREASE – refill grease should be the same as the existing grease.
- Refer to your manual for additional information, or feel free to contact us.
Cause of Failure: Plugged Drip Tray
Water/seal liquid dripping from the stuffing box can backup and enter the bearing housing, contaminating the lubricant.
Keep the drip tray opening (drain) clean and clear of debris to allow water to exit freely.
Cause of Failure: Improper Installation
- Shaft alignment
- “Soft” pump foot
- Piping stress
- Check coupling alignment – to spec
- Check for soft foot – pump properly shimmed
- Check for equal seal flow to each side of pump
- Eliminate piping stress, when inlet is disconnected no misalignment
- Monitor bearing temperatures and vibration weekly
Cause of Failure: Improper Repair
- Shafts machined in place
- Bearing re-used after repair
- Proper bearing installation not followed
- Contact us for evaluation
If you are experiencing bearing failure mode, we are available to help. We can walk you through the potential solutions above, and based on our extensive experience can troubleshoot unique situations.
Through preventative maintenance, and ongoing support we can help you prevent bearing failure and other typical pump issues before they become larger problems.
You invested in a NASH® pump for a reason – reliability. Let us help you keep your operation running smoothly, reliably and efficiently.